Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Tranmere Rovers Youth 0-3 Fleetwood Town Youth

22 March 2015

Town picked up their first three points of the year on the Wirall

Fleetwood Town’s youth team recorded their first win of 2015 with a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Tranmere Rovers on Saturday morning.

Goals in the first half from Liam Wood and Jordan Hancox were added to in the second period by Daniel Mooney’s strike, to earn the young Cod Army all three points.

Elliot Wynne returned in goal for Craig Madden’s side, as Fleetwood’s youth manager also handed starts to several schoolboy scholars.

Town had the first chance of the contest, though Louis Myers saw his tame header saved by Rovers’ keeper Luke Pilling after two minutes.

Fleetwood wouldn’t have to wait long for their opening goal, which came after five minutes when Wood’s cross from the right caught Pilling out and crept in at the near post.

At the other end, the Fleetwood defensive duo of Andrew Smith and Lewis Baines were keeping the hosts at bay, while forward Sam Ilesanmi’s would later see his shot smothered well by Wynne.

The Cod Army had chances to extend their advantage, with advanced forward Myers dragging the ball wide after some good build-up play from Mooney and Hancox.

Myers was involved in proceedings once again just after the half hour mark, when he flicked the ball into the path of Wood, but he crashed the ball into the side netting from close range.

However, on 37 minutes, Fleetwood netted the second goal which their play deserved, as Hancox skipped past his man before cutting onto his left foot and drilling the ball beyond Pilling.

As the second-half commenced, Tranmere looked to find a way back into the match, and Wynne had to keep out Tolani Omotola’s placed shot in the opening moments.

They would then muster up another chance, but midfielder Liam Smith blazed his free kick from 25-yards high and wide over Wynne’s bar.

Mooney added a third for Town on 65 minutes as he profited from some fine passing play from his teammates, to confidently increase the lead.

Tranmere searched for a consolation late on in the game, but Town’s backline were once again resilient to deny Rovers a route to goal.

The home side had a glorious chance in the final ten minutes, when the ball bobbled out of Wynne’s grasp but the re-bound was smashed against the up-right before being hacked away.

Fleetwood saw out the game in confident fashion, and earned three vital points going into the closing weeks of the league season.

Advertisement block