Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Scunthorpe United (H)

3 March 2015

Goals from Jamie Proctor and Josh Morris resulted in Fleetwood Town drawing 2-2 at home to Scunthorpe United, despite the Cod Army leading twice.

Town came out firing on a bitterly cold night at Highbury scoring inside three minutes.

Nick Haughton was the supplier, whipping in a right wing free-kick from which Proctor rose highest to head his first goal of the calendar year.

Just as the half-time whistle loomed Fleetwood conceded. Ex-Birmingham City winger Gary McSheffrey with the goal, taking aim from the edge of the area to draw the visitors level.

Morris put Town ahead for the second time with 19 minutes to play curling in from the edge of the box.

Fleetwood could only hold on for three minutes though as Scunthorpe equalised for a second time courtesy of a George Evans pile-driver from 35 yards.

Alexander made three changes to the side as he looked for a reaction from the Chesterfield match.

Out went Antoni Sarcevic, Jeff Hughes and Liam McAlinden replaced by Gareth Evans, Stewart Murdoch, who made his first league start of the season, and Proctor.

Proctor gave Alexander the best possible start, underlining his inclusion in the process, netting the opener.

The 22-year-old looked in the mood after scoring and almost turned provider in the next attack as Evans forced Luke Daniels into a save low to his right.

Proctor was not the only threat, David Ball’s pace in behind caused Scunthorpe problems as Town looked for a second early on.

Despite the dominance the Cod Army were served a warning with quarter of an hour played. Conor Townsend played in experienced winger McSheffrey who was thwarted by an onrushing Chris Maxwell.

As the half progressed the Iron came back into the game, playing some neat football and capitalised on that on the stroke of half-time.

Having offered a warning shot, McSheffrey made no mistake with his second attempt riffling in from 18 yards.

As in the first half, Town started the second on the front foot. Proctor again rolled the ball across the face of goal for Gareth Evans who this time saw his effort hit the legs of Isaiah Osborne.

McLaughlin also tried his luck, attempting to chip Daniels from 30 yards following a poor clearance.

The Iron’s top scorer Paddy Madden had their best chance with a left foot volley which went wide before the game sparked back into life.

Alexander responded by bringing on McAlinden for Ball. The Wolves loanee was immediately involved heading a high ball down to Morris to bend the ball inside Daniels’ goal.

Moments after going ahead Town were caught cold as Evans equalised with his first Scunthorpe goal emphatically after being teed up by Osborne.

Stephen Dobbie and Steven Schumacher were brought on shortly afterwards for Haughton and Evans as Town looked to take the lead for a third time.

It was McAlinden who had the chance to win it, though he couldn’t stab in a wayward McLaughlin effort after he had won the ball back.

Next up for Town is a first ever trip to Bramall Lane to face Sheffield United on Saturday.

Advertisement block