Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Blackpool Youth 1-0 Fleetwood Town Youth

1 March 2015

Young Cod Army denied a share of the spoils late on

Fleetwood Town’s youth team slipped to a narrow 1-0 defeat in a Lancashire derby against near-neighbours Blackpool on Saturday morning.

A late header from Sam Roscoe was enough for the Tangerines to gain all three points which broke the hearts of the young Cod Army.

Max Johnstone remained in goal for the game, while debuts were handed to the likes of Tyrone McKenzie and Ben Matthews, as Craig Madden tinkered with his squad.

In a quiet start to proceedings, it would be Fleetwood who would create the first notable effort on goal, with Jordan Hancox tamely shooting wide of Miles Boney’s post after 15 minutes.

Both sides were being reduced to half-chances in what was turning out to be a scrappy affair at Squires Gate, with Cod Army defender Andy Smith clearing any danger that came his way.

With 35 minutes on the clock, Blackpool defender Joe Moulden wasted his side’s first real opportunity, as he glanced over the bar from a free header.

Shortly afterwards, James Doyle found his way through on goal for the Seasiders, though he shot narrowly wide of the far post.

The same player would then be denied by Fleetwood keeper’ Johnstone, who parried the midfielder’s 25 yard effort away for a corner.

At the other end, Louis Myers saw his looping header comfortably saved by Boney, as both sides cancelled each other out at the interval.

Fleetwood debutant McKenzie was the first to trouble the pool backline in the second half, however saw his shot from the edge of the box saved by Boney.

Alex Pond then had a chance for the hosts on the hour mark, but the forward drilled the ball inches wide.

Blackpool substitute Kit Gregory then had a glorious chance for Richie Kyle’s men, but lashed the ball over the bar from close range.

As the game entered its final 20 minutes, Town were then awarded a penalty when Hancox had been hacked in the box.

It would be Hancox who would take the resulting penalty, but he saw his effort saved by Boney in the Pool goal.

Johnstone later acrobatically kept out Jack Steele with ten minutes to play, before Pond smashed the re-bound against the bar from a few yards out.

But those hopes were dashed in cruel fashion in the 85th minute, when Roscoe met Doyle’s in-swinging corner to head the ball into the back of the net.

Minutes later, Johnstone had to be alert to stop Pond’s effort with his feet, before keeping Njie’s low drive out in the dying embers of the game.

Advertisement block