Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth team match report: Bury 1-0 Fleetwood Town

4 January 2015

Brayden Shaw's first half strike won the game for Bury

Fleetwood Town’s youth team suffered a narrow defeat at the hands of Bury in their opening league game of 2015 on Saturday morning.

A solitary goal from Brayden Shaw in the first half gave the Shakers all three points in the Youth Alliance League Northern section.

Despite having chances towards the end of the game to snatch a point, Fleetwood were unable to find the elusive equaliser, and unfortunately left lower Gigg empty handed.

Elliot Wynne replaced Liam Bleeker in goal, while Andrew Smith returned to the fold following a recent injury.

In an even start to proceedings, Fleetwood found the first opening, as midfielder Conor Smith saw his right-footed free-kick curl just past the post.

Six minutes later, Town midfielder Liam Wood hit a rasping drive towards goal which stung the palms of Bury keeper Rhys Williams.

Bury found their first chance of the game after 13 minutes, however Wynne was on hand to acrobatically keep out Matty Foulds volleyed effort.

The young Fleetwood keeper was called into action again shortly after, diving low to keep out Raquane Crosdale’s driven shot.

But those missed chances did not deter the hosts, who went in front in the 18th minute courtesy of Shaw, who raced away on goal before coolly slotted beyond the dive of Wynne.

The young Cod Army tried to find a leveller as the half wore on, however Louis Myers & co couldn’t find a way through a resilient Bury back line.

Shane Glean went close for Craig Madden’s side on the half-hour mark, as he saw his left-footed shot from outside the box go just past the far post.

Bury perhaps could have had a second goal in the 41st minute, but Shaw couldn’t add to his tally and fizzed the ball over the crossbar.

As the second half resumed, Fleetwood looked for an equaliser, and Myers glanced a header just over.

Striker Mamadou Djabi also went close for the visitors, who began the second half well, in some awful weather conditions in Greater Manchester.

The Shakers looked to find a second goal, though efforts from Hayden Fincher and Khalid Mohammed went begging mid-way through the second period.

As the game entered the final phase, Fleetwood had a flurry of chances in quick succession, with Djabi seeing his effort cleared off the line, before Wood shot wide from a tight angle.

And finally, Djabi had another chance when played in on goal, however he struck his placed shot wide of the post as Bury hung on for the win.

Advertisement block