Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Fleetwood Town vs Oldham Athletic

17 January 2015

Fleetwood Town 0-2 Oldham Athletic

Fleetwood Town fell to their first defeat of 2015 as Oldham Athletic claimed a 2-0 win at Highbury Stadium.

It could well have been a different story with the Cod Army almost taking the lead before the break with a combination of George Elokobi and Paul Rachubka denying Josh Morris and Gareth Evans.

Into the second half and the Latics came out firing as first Carl Winchester and then Mike Jones, as Town pushed for an equaliser, both curled efforts past the reach of Chris Maxwell.

Ahead of kick-off, Graham Alexander named an unchanged side following the 1-0 win away at Leyton Orient last week. The returning Liam McAlinden was named amongst on the bench as were David Ball and Nathan Pond.

On a chilly afternoon on the Fylde Coast, Town almost caught the visitors cold as Evans chipped a ball over the Oldham defence though Antoni Sarcevic could only fire wide.

A spell of pressure from the Latics followed as they tried their luck from range with Brian Wilson, Dominic Poleon and captain Liam Kelly all seeing their efforts clear Maxwell’s crossbar.

Having started the half stronger Town ended it in the same manner peppering the Oldham goal.

First Sarcevic popped up on the left to centre to Stephen Dobbie who glanced his header over before Morris saw an effort cleared off the line by  Elokobi having been played in by Jamie Proctor.

Evans got to the rebound only for the Lactics’ goalkeeper Paul Rachubka to turn it round the post.

Lee Johnson’s side came out of the blocks in an explosive manner at the start of the second period as Maxwell had to be at his best to keep them out.

Jones fired free-kick goalwards having been fouled by Conor McLaughlin before Danny Philiskirk was denied at point blank range.

However, it was third time lucky for Oldham as Winchester cut in from the left before bending the ball into the far right corner past the dive of Maxwell.

Alexander responded by withdrawing Morris and Dobbie in order to bring on the lively duo of Nick Haughton and McAlinden.

The change nearly paid dividends immediately as Haughton teed up Sarcevic who saw his powerful drive deflected wide.

Just past the hour though Oldham extended their lead as Jones finally found a way past Maxwell with a free-kick 20 yards out after Stephen Jordan had been booked for pulling back Poleon.

Evans had his own set pieces effort as the game entered the final 20 minutes but Rachubka was able to back-pedal and tip it over.

Town’s final change saw Ball make his return from injury in place of Crainey as the Cod Army searched for a way back into the game.

Haughton nearly provided that route back in as a left wing cross fell to him but his low drive towards the bottom corner was well saved by Rachubka.

Advertisement block