Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Fleetwood Town Youth 0-1 Preston North End Youth

21 February 2015

Robinson's goal enough to defeat the young Cod Army

Fleetwood Town’s youth side slipped to a narrow 1-0 defeat at home to Preston North End at Lytham on Saturday morning.

The solitary goal of the game came in unfortunate circumstances for the young Cod Army, with Adam Robinson netting the winner direct from a corner-kick late in the second half.

Lewis Baines made his youth team bow, with goalkeeper Max Johnstone and Jake Stinton also coming into the side.

Craig Madden’s side started brightly, and created the first chance of the game after two minutes, however Louis Myers skewed his shot wide of the post.

At the other end, Johnstone had to be alert to keep out Luke Pritchard’s fizzing free-kick.

Town continued to press in an even game, and went close again as Myers’ left-footed half-volley skimmed past Ross Dalton’s far post.

Liam Wood and Shane Glean combined well, though a resilient Preston back-four intercepted any danger.

With half-an-hour played, Fleetwood had their defence to thank, as first Johnstone denied Pritchard with his feet before James Boyd’s shot was hacked off the line.

Preston’s pressure didn’t end there, with winger Eddie Dsane dragging his shot wide of the post, before Bradley Wicks saw his long-range shot comfortably saved by Johnstone.

As proceedings commenced for the second-half, the young Cod Army were quick out the traps, and midfielder Glean curled an effort narrowly over the bar.

North End’s first chance of the half came when Wicks floated in a cross for Pritchard, though the latter couldn’t keep his header down.

Fleetwood looked to take the initiative in the game, and Myers jinked past two Preston defenders and lashed his effort into the side-netting.

Shortly afterwards, the visitors took the lead in fortuitous circumstances after 73 minutes courtesy of substitute Robinson.

Robinson’s left-footed corner found its way beyond the grasp of Johnstone and into the back of the net.

With the match entering the final stages, Town looked to find that elusive equaliser that they had craved, with Owen Bridge coming off the bench.

Myers was involved in the action once again, and the forward shot narrowly wide from just inside the area after being assisted by Jordan Hancox.

Next to try his luck was Michael Tetteh, who forced Dalton to parry the ball away to his left from a free-kick.

From the resulting corner-kick, the ball fell at the back post to Myers who dragged his shot inches wide of the post.

Advertisement block