Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Chesterfield (A)

28 February 2015

Chesterfield 3-0 Fleetwood Town

Ten man Fleetwood Town endured a difficult day at the Proact Stadium this afternoon as they were beaten by Chesterfield, 3-0.

Caolan Lavery gave Chesterfield the lead on 31 minutes when he received a pass from the right, and shot low into the bottom corner beyond the dive of Chris Maxwell.

Sam Hird made it two for the Spireites just before the break as he crashed home from close range after Maxwell had saved the initial strike.

In the aftermatch of the goal, Antoni Sarcevic was sent off for two bookable offences, both for abusive language towards the referee.

Samy Morsy added a third midway through the second half when he was found unmarked in the box and slotted home.

Graham Alexander made one change to the side that beat Notts County at home last weekend, with new signing Adam Chicksen coming in at left back instead of the suspended Stephen Crainey.

Chicksen made an early impression for Town with his pace on the flank, and linked up well with winger Josh Morris.

Fleetwood certainly started the better of the two sides, and the Spireites had keeper Tommy Lee to thank as he stretched full reach to dent David Ball’s close range header.

Chesterfield boss Paul Cook was forced into an early change as defender Daniel Jones picked up a foot injury, which meant he was replaced by Gboly Ariyibi.

The home side’s first real attempt came after 18 minutes when Tendayi Darikwa’s tame strike fizzed wide of the post.

Cook’s men gradually began to take the game to Town, with an effort from Gary Roberts and an inviting cross by Sam Clucas both cleared.

Sarcevic picked up a loose ball in the middle of the park and drove at the home defence, before forcing a low stop out of Lee.

At the other end, Ollie Banks’ fierce strike from the edge of the box was expertly tipped onto the bar by Maxwell.

Chesterfield were ahead on the half hour mark as Lavery slotted home beyond Maxwell from inside the area.

Lavery, buoyed by his goal, later crashed a header over the bar from close range as Chesterfield’s tails were up.

Hird doubled the advantage just before the break with a finish from inside the six yard box after Maxwell had saved the initial shot well.

More woe was to follow for the Cod Army when Sarcevic was sent off shortly after the goal by referee Patrick Miller.

After the interval, Hird met a powerful corner at the back post but was denied on the line by a Cod Army defender.

Alexander brought on both Stewart Murdoch and Jamie Proctor for David Ball and Liam McAlinden ten minutes into the second half as Town looked for a way back into the game.

Gary Roberts’ corner found Jimmy Ryan at the back post, but he failed to keep his effort down and blasted over.

Morsy made it three for the Spireites midway through the second half as he slotted home unmarked inside the box.

Winger Roberts later cut in from the right and drew a routine save out of Maxwell as Chesterfield continued to pressure with the man advantage.

Banks very nearly increased Chesterfield’s lead when his rasping drive from distance flew inches wide of the post.

Chesterfield created further chances towards the tail end of the game but the job for Fleetwood is to pick themselves up ahead of Tuesday night’s game against Scunthorpe United.

Advertisement block