Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Wigan (H)

28 December 2015

Fleetwood Town 1-3 Wigan Athletic

Two late goals from Jordy Hiwula and Michael Jacobs condemned Fleetwood Town to defeat at Highbury Stadium this afternoon.

Andy Kellett gave the visitors the lead six minutes before the break, when he dispossessed Amari’i Bell and beat Chris Maxwell at his front post with a strike from the edge of the box.

Antoni Sarcevic equalised for the Cod Army midway through the second half when he converted a penalty after David Ball was brought down.

Latics substitute Hiwula added a second for Gary Caldwell’s men as he scrambled home from inside the box after Maxwell had initially saved.

And the visitors made it three in the dying moments when Jacobs was played in on goal and slotted into the bottom corner.

Nick Haughton and Tariqe Fosu were both handed starts by Steven Pressley, as Bobby Grant dropped to the bench and David Henen was injured.

Town started the game well and pressured their Latics counterparts, with Haughton whipping two dangerous corners into the area.

Captain Nathan Pond then came to his side’s rescue midway through the half when he headed Max Power’s free kick away from goal.

Haughton’s corners were proving a threat, and the experienced Jussi Jaaskelainen had to be at full stretch to keep the youngster’s in-swinger from finding the net.

Striker Will Grigg was later played in down the left hand side for the visitors, and played a cross into the box in which Antoni Sarcevic defended superbly

The Latics opened the scoring on 39 minutes as Kellett nipped the ball off Bell, before beating Maxwell with an effort at his near post.

Donavon Daniels crashed a header against the bar at the start of the second half, as his side looked to extend their advantage.

And the visitors went close again soon after as Jacobs’ free kick came back off the inside of the post from the left.

Town got themselves back into the game on 68 minutes when Ball was tripped in the area and Carl Boyeson pointed to spot.

Sarcevic pulled the Cod Army back into the game from the penalty spot, as he converted his spot kick coolly past Jaaskelainen.

Hiwula found the net on 83 minutes as he stabbed home from inside the box as the Latics regained the advantage.

And Jacobs made it three in stoppage time as he went through on goal and beat Maxwell with a slotted finish.

Advertisement block