Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Burnley Youth 0-3 Fleetwood Town Youth

11 April 2015

Club News

Report: Burnley Youth 0-3 Fleetwood Town Youth

11 April 2015

Sponsored by

Young Cod Army ended their campaign impressively against the Clarets

Fleetwood Town concluded their Youth Alliance League season with an emphatic 3-0 win away at Burnley.

First half goals from Jordan Hancox and Nathan Sheron put the young Cod Army two to the good, before Louis Myers completed the scoring with 20 minutes to play to wrap up the three points.

The win meant Town’s youngsters ended their campaign on a high, having won three out of four league games in recent weeks, in a season which had also seen them reach the FA Youth Cup third round for the first time in their history.

For the final encounter of the season, Craig Madden handed starts to several schoolboy scholars, with Elliot Wynne remaining in goal, alongside the front two of Myers and Hancox.

It would be the Clarets who created the first chance of note when Christian Hill lashed the ball wide on the half volley.

Town’s first opening came after seven minutes, but Myers’ header was comfortably saved by Burnley goalkeeper Connor King.

Fleetwood’s opening goal came courtesy of Hancox in the 15th minute, when he profited from Myers’ clever flick on to stab the ball into the back of the net.

Myers was next to test the Burnley back line, though he curled his effort just over the bar from the edge of the penalty area

Thomas Coulson then saw his driven free-kick gathered by King, as Fleetwood looked for a second in a game they were dominating.

Daniel Mooney also went close, as his mazy run culminated in a long-range left-footed shot which went inches wide of the post.

At the other end, the defensive duo of Andrew Smith and Lewis Baines were able to thwart any Burnley advances towards goal.

Madden’s side would get their second goal through Sheron just before the break, as he bundled the ball in following a goalmouth scramble.

Josh Dolling spurned a half-chance for the hosts at the start of the second period, as his effort was smothered by the on-rushing Wynne.

Fleetwood, now oozing with confidence, were keen to cap off a fine team performance with a third, but having been played in by Michael Tetteh, Hancox’s shot was well held by King.

With 70 minutes on the clock, Fleetwood netted their third goal of the game when Myers reacted quickest to latch onto a ball which had hung up in the air, before skimming his man and drilling left-footed into the far corner.

Wynne was finally called into action with eight minutes to play, diving to his left to superbly claw Khuiz Metz’ effort away.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account