Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth: Blackpool 3-1 Fleetwood Town

15 September 2014

Full report from the youth game at the weekend

Fleetwood Town's youth side fell to a 3-1 defeat against near neighbours Blackpool on Saturday morning at Squires Gate.

Conor Smith's second half free kick had given Town the lead, however later goals from Elliot Pond, an own goal from defender Andrew Smith and Dominic Telford sealed the win for the Tangerines.

Team news wise, goalkeeper Liam Bleeker, midfielder Shane Glean and striker Jonny Conway returned to the starting line-up for Craig Madden's side.

The game started off relatively even with both sides trying to dictate the play early on in a Fylde Coast derby fixture.

It would be Fleetwood who would create the game's first real chance, with versatile captain Conor Smith fizzing a right footed free-kick wide of the left hand post after 15 minutes.

Three minutes later, Blackpool found their first opening, as Macauley Wilson struck an effort just wide of Bleeker's near post from a tight angle.

In what was turning into an entertaining spectacle, the hosts would soon find another chance, with Jordan Hancox diverting the ball towards goal which was clawed away well by Daniel Milton.

Neither side could find an opening as the half wore on, with both being reduced to half chances, with Fleetwood midfielder Glean shooting over the crossbar from long range.

Blackpool could have considered themselves unfortunate not to be in-front after Joe Moulden directed his header towards goal, which Michael Muscat managed to scramble away.

The Tangerines went close again, this time captain Mark Waddington glanced a header just past the far post from a free-kick on the stroke of half time.

Craig Madden's Fleetwood side would soon be in the lead shortly after the interval thanks to a sublime free-kick from Conor Smith.

Smith stepped up and curled the ball into the top right hand corner past and past Milton.

The goal seemed to spur the Cod Army on with Conway and Myers linking up well.

With an hour played, the visitors were level in unfortunate circumstances for the Town defence.

After some good build up play by the Tangerines, the ball fell to forward Elliot Pond who back heeled through the legs of Bleeker from close range.

At the other end, Fleetwood looked for a second, however Conor Smith could only shoot straight at Milton after some impressive work between Hancox and Glean.

Nine minutes later, Pool took the lead through another spate of bad luck for Fleetwood as Andrew Smith headed beyond his own keeper.

The ball was pumped into a crowded box, and defender Smith glanced the ball past a static Bleeker.

Blackpool would wrap up the win with 74 minutes on the clock, as Telford volleyed a left footed effort into the right hand corner.

Advertisement block