Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Fleetwood Town 1-3 Morecambe

2 September 2014

The Cod Army are knocked out in the first round of the JPT

Fleetwood Town's journey in the JPT came to an end in defeat against Morecambe at Highbury in the first round. The Cod Army took an early lead after Gareth Evans latched onto a Matty Blair throughball in the 12th minute to slot past Barry Roche before goals by, first Padraig Amond and Jack Redshaw gave Jim Bentley’s men a half time lead.

Although Fleetwood pushed hard to find a way back into the game, Amond grabbed his second and Morecambe’s third in the 80th minute putting the tie beyond the Cod Army.

Graham Alexander’s men took the game to their visitors in the opening minutes. Adam Campbell and Blair both flashing crosses in with no one able to apply a finish as Morecambe’s Roche spread his tall frame to intercept.

Town’s pressure paid off though in the 12th minute as Blair released Evans who punished the Shrimps for playing a high line and putting the hosts ahead.

Jim Bentley’s men were almost level just a minute later as Ryan Edwards was found at the back post from a Ryan Williams free-kick but could only find Chris Maxwell’s hands.

Another good chance for the hosts followed after 15 minutes. Jack Redshaw seized upon a weak Stephen Crainey backpass but after knocking the ball past Maxwell fell to the ground only for the referee to book him for simulation.

Five minutes later and Blair, having created the first, almost doubled the Cod Army’s lead but could only curl his effort onto the crossbar after being chipped through by Evans.

Then, after 28 minutes, Stewart Drummond played in Amond who made a run infield from his right wing posting to slot past Maxwell drawing Morecambe level.

As the half grew on, the visitors grew into the match and capped a bright ten six minute spell grabbing a second as Sampson found Redshaw ten yards from goal.

Fleetwood had a chance to get level from the break as Sarcevic fizzed another cross in but as was the theme in the first 45 minutes the telling touch was absent.

Blair and Evans again combined after the restart in the 54th minute as Evans beat ex-Fleetwood full-back Shaun Beeley to the byline before chipping to the back post. Blair managed to reach the cross but was only able to head wide.

Ten minutes later and the Cod Army went almost in again as Josh Morris led a free-flowing counter from a Morecambe corner. The ball found its way to Campbell’s replacement Stephen Dobbie who tried to feed it through to Sarcevic only for Joe Widdowson to deny him.

It was the Shrimps who had the next chance to increase their lead in the 69th minute as Jack Sampson sent in a right-wing cross which Blair could only head to the edge of the area. Amond met the bouncing ball but somewhat mistimed his volley blazing it over.

In a bid to reach the next round Alexander, after already bringing Dobbie on, decided to replace goalscorer Evans with the Club’s leading marksman Jamie Proctor with 18 minutes remaining.

Amond completed the scoring with ten minutes to go tucking in from close range after Maxwell had done well to save an attempt from Morecambe substitute Paul Mullin.

However, Fleetwood's journey in the JPT came to an end and now consecutive away trips to Oldham and Crawley are next for the Cod Army before returning to Highbury to face Barnsley on the 17th September.

Advertisement block