Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bristol City Preview

20 September 2014

Fleetwood Town 3-3 Bristol City

Fleetwood Town came back from 3-1 down to rescue a dramatic last minute equaliser through Stephen Dobbie against league leaders Bristol City in a 3-3 draw at Highbury.

Town took the lead as Josh Morris grabbed his first of the season before a brace from Kieran Agard and an Aaron Wilbraham effort put the visitors 3-1 to the good.

However after bringing on top scorer Jamie Proctor, who started on the bench in place of David Ball, the Cod Army fought back to draw with the sub scoring alongside former Blackpool man Dobbie.

The game started in an open fashion with both sides having good opportunities to take the lead early.

After four minutes, Luke Freeman released Agard from the centre circle to run through one-on-one with Chris Maxwell who performed heroics to deny the striker as he attempted to round him.

Two minutes later, and Stephen Crainey played a lofted pass into Morris, who brought the ball down well on his chest but was unable to get around Frank Fielding in the Robins goal.

With 11 minutes on the clock, Town had another chance as Morris’ inswinging corner caused all sorts of problems for ex-Burnley midfielder Wade Elliot, who almost swiped the ball into his own net.

Matty Blair was next to try his luck after 15 minutes, being played in on goal by Ball but could only drag his low shot wide from his position on the right-hand side of the box.

As the chances came and went for the Cod Army, it looked like another frustrating afternoon in front of goal before Morris popped up in the 22nd minute with his first of the season.

Dobbie turned and shot on the edge of the box only for Derick Williams to dive in the way of his effort. The rebound fell kindly for Morris who took one touch with his right before slotting it left-footed into the bottom corner.

Ten minutes later and the visitors were level as Joe Bryan’s left wing cross was stabbed past Maxwell by Agard.

Having levelled, City pushed for a lead to take into the interval and thought they had done so on the stroke of half-time. Aaron Wilbraham was found by another Bryan cross but was denied by the assistant referee’s flag.

Into the second half and Steve Cotterill’s men showed the sort of form that has taken them to the top of the division scoring twice in four minutes.

Agard grabbed his second of the game in the 47th minute from close range before Wilbraham tapped-in from inside the six yard box after his strike partner had put the ball into his path.

Moments before the hour mark and Alexander made his first change bringing Proctor on for Blair and the summer signing made an immediate impact.

A minute after Dobbie had cut in and seen a left-footed curling attempt well saved by Fielding in the 60th minute Proctor headed rose unmarked from a Morris cross to head into the far corner.

Then, in the 72nd minute, after getting within a goal of the Robins, Alexander made a double change bringing Steven Schumacher and Ball off for Matty Hughes and Antoni Sarcevic respectively.

His changes paid off as with just a minute left on the clock, Hughes went down the left wing before his cross was cleared to Dobbie on the edge of the area who brought it down on his chest and powered, right-footed, past Fielding.

The result leaves Town ninth in League One with Peterborough next up for the Cod Army at London Road next weekend.

Advertisement block