Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Development side see off Tranmere Rovers

8 October 2014

Town win their second development game on the bounce

Fleetwood Town's Development squad recorded their second successive victory in the Final Third Development League with a 3-1 win against Tranmere Rovers at Highbury.

Goals in the first half from Tyler Forbes and Matty Blair sent the hosts on their way, with their strikes coming in the fourth and 34th minute respectively.

Sam Ilesamni pulled one back for the visitors in the 55th minute, but Town wrapped up proceedings late on when substitute Josh Green emphatically volleyed home.

Keith Southern and Jeff Hughes both featured in Chris Lucketti's starting line-up as they continued to get back to match fitness following their injuries.

Fleetwood started the game strongly and took the lead with the first chance of the contest; Forbes putting the Cod Army in-front after just four minutes.

He shrugged off Tranmere defender Mitch Duggan, before taking a touch and confidently drilling the ball home right-footed into the bottom corner.

Striker Nick Haughton impressed up-front, and almost found Town’s second of the game from a free header after a quarter of an hour.

Full-back Adam N'Diti was later hacked down on the edge of the area, with Haughton stepping up and curling a right-footed free-kick in which keeper Ramsbottom did well to save.

The visitors then started to come into the game a bit more, and Fleetwood captain Tom Davies was forced to head the ball away from danger following a teasing cross from Tolani Omotola.

At the other end, the Cod Army almost found a third on 25 minutes, as a clever through ball from N'Diti split the defence but Blair couldn't connect properly with the ball.

Blair would have his name on the scoresheet ten minutes later though, when the midfielder latched onto a long ball from Davies before advancing through on goal and slotting through the legs of Ramsbottom.

The second half started how the first ended with the Cod Army very much on top of their opponents, with Blair forcing the Rovers keeper into a smart save down to his left.

Tranmere were then back in the tie, as the impressive Sam Ilesamni profitied from a defensive mix and poked home on 55 minutes.

As the game entered the final 25 minutes, defender Liam Hogan saw his half-volley hit the post as the Cod Army pushed for a third.

The Birkenhead outfit wouldn't go down without a fight however, and were unfortunate not to find an equaliser 13 minutes from time when Ilesamni rattled the crossbar from just outside the area.

Fleetwood would have the final say though in stoppage time as substitute Josh Green controlled the ball superbly before volleying home right-footed.


Fleetwood: Scott Davies, Murdoch, Hughes, Hogan, Tom Davies (C) Blair, Haughton, Allen, Southern, Forbes.

Tranmere: Ramsbottom, Duggan, Gumbs, Kubwalo, Hunter, Jago, Rowe (C) Omotolo, Ilesamni, Kirkby, Moynes.

Advertisement block