Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth team slip to narrow defeat against Burnley

16 November 2014

Jamie Frost's goal proved to be the winner

Fleetwood Town's youth side slipped to a narrow 1-0 defeat at home to Burnley in the Youth Alliance League on Saturday.

Jamie Frost netted what proved to be the winner for Burnley after 24 minutes, with the Clarets striker profiting on a defensive mistake and tapping home.

The young Fleetwood side were looking to build upon Tuesday's 3-1 victory over Sheffield United in the FA Youth Cup, which set up a trip to Premier League side Sunderland.

In what was an even start, Town keeper Elliot Wynne had to be alert as he denied Ntumba Massanka with a smothering save after five minutes.

Burnley continued to pressure, and had another chance three minutes later, with Frost embarking on a mazy run before shooting wide of the post.

The young Cod Army were being reduced to half chances, with Jonny Conway failing to trouble Tony Aghayere in the visiting goal.

At the other end, Andreas Bianga saw his tame header comfortably saved by Wynne, on an overcast afternoon on the West Lancashire coast.

However, shortly after, the Clarets would find an opening courtesy of Frost’s 24th minute strike.

Frost chased down a long ball which was misjudged by Wynne, before taking the ball around the Fleetwood stopper and coolly slotting into the back of the net.

They quickly looked to double their advantage, and Andy Nugent skimmed a long-range shot just wide of the far post.

The final chance of the first period fell to Town, however Louis Myers glanced his header just over the bar from Conor Smith's free-kick.

At the start of the second half, captain Michael Muscat headed just over the top of the bar from close range.

Burnley forward Massanka then tried his luck for the Clarets, however he dragged his effort wide of the post.

Conway could have considered himself unfortunate not to find a leveller for Craig Madden's side just past the hour, when he saw his looping header hacked off the line by Frost.

Smith then whipped in a right-footed free-kick which dropped to the feet of Michael Tetteh, but the midfielder fizzied a volley agonizingly wide.

The visitors looked to kill the game off through the impressive Frost and forward Massanka, but shot stopper Wynne was equal to their efforts.

Shortly after that, Jamal Crawford went close, before Frost sent an effort wide for the Clarets.

Muscat's valiant last ditch defending also denied the Clarets, with Massanka about to shoot at goal in the closing stages.

Fleetwood piled on the pressure in the final 10 minutes of the game, but the young Cod Army were reduced to half chances as Burnley held on for the win.

Advertisement block