Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth team make it four wins from four

2 November 2014

Myers' late winner sealed all three points

Fleetwood Town's youth side made it four wins out of four following a 2-1 victory over Tranmere Rovers on Saturday morning in the North West Youth Alliance League.

Shane Glean opened the scoring for the young Cod Army with a well-taken finish, but Darren Askew equalised just shy of the break for Rovers.

However, Louis Myers pounced on a goalkeeping mistake to bundle the ball home three minutes from time to give Fleetwood the win.

Liam Bleeker returned in goal in place of Elliot Wynne, while Michael Tetteh replaced the injured Conor Smith.

The Cod Army started brightly, and put their Wirral opponents under pressure early on with full-back Williams seeing his effort saved by Rovers stopper Pilling.

Fleetwood perhaps should have been in front after a quarter of an hour, when Jordan Hancox connected with a long ball and took it around the keeper but shot agonizingly wide.

However, Town would have their lead on 20 minutes through midfielder Glean.

Glean connected well with Jordan Hancox pass before cutting inside and rifling an effort which crashed in off the near post.

At the other end, Michael Muscat did well to thwart Samni Ilesamni's run as Fleetwood looked strong at the back.

Craig Madden's young side may have considered themselves unfortunate not to have a second goal after half an hour, when Jonny Conway's tap in was adjudged to be offside.

Both Conway and Myers had chances to double the lead for the hosts, however their opportunities went begging.

Tranmere found the net with their first real chance of the game courtesy of a neat finish from Askew on the stroke of half time.

A short corner was played in, with the ball falling to the unmarked Askew, who placed the ball underneath the dive of Bleeker.

As the second half resumed, Conway was unfortunate as he glanced a free-header just wide of the near post.

Myers then picked up the ball on the wing before lashing just wide from 25 yards.

Despite Fleetwood's pressure, Bleeker did well to smother the shot of Ilesamni on a blustery day at Lytham.

Fleetwood then had a chance to grab a second goal with 25 minutes to go when versatile forward Conway curled his right-footed effort into the hands of Pilling.

It seemed to be tuning into a frustrating day for the young Cod Army, with Madden's side going close though Glean and Hancox, both of whom had attempts blocked.

However, following a period of sustained pressure on the Rovers goal, Fleetwood found their winner from Myers with three minutes to go.

A cross from Glean took a deflection, with Tranmere keeper Pilling failing to grasp the ball which fell at feet of Myers, who bundled home on the goal-line to gain all three points for Fleetwood.

Advertisement block