Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swindon match preview

29 November 2014

Swindon 1-0 Fleetwood Town

Despite a heroic defensive display at the County Ground, Fleetwood Town slipped to a narrow defeat as Ben Gladwin’s 87th minute goal proved the difference.

A corner from the right was swung in, and Gladwin rose highest in the box to glance beyond Chris Maxwell in the Town goal and seal all three points for his side.

Manager Graham Alexander made only one change to his starting eleven from the side that lost at home to Walsall last weekend.

Antoni Sarcevic was rewarded with his first start since the trip to Preston North End in late October, as he replaced Stephen Dobbie.

Alexander named five development squad players amongst his substitutes, with Liam Bleeker, Tyler Forbes, Josh Green, Keano Deacon and Nick Haughton all involved.

The Cod Army started brightly and forced some early corners, with Sarcevic deployed in the hole behind Tom Hitchock and Martin Paterson.

However, it was the home side who had the first chance when Yaser Kasim played a low ball into the area which just evaded on-rushing striker Andrew Williams at the back post.

Nathan Byrne then flashed a long range effort across the face of goal as the Robins continued to pressure the visiting backline.

Town weathered an early Swindon storm though and were presented with a great opportunity on 20 minutes, when Paterson was played through on goal but shot straight at Wes Foderingham.

That was to be Paterson’s last involvement of the game as he was replaced by Dobbie after picking up a hamstring injury.

The Cod Army were doing well to frustrate their second placed opponents, with Jeff Hughes and Steven Schumacher dictating play in the middle.

Full back Byrne went close again for his side ten minutes before the break, when he cut in from the right and rifled an effort which flew just wide of Chris Maxwell’s goal.

As the half drew to a close, Hitchcock sent a header wide from a corner at the back post, while Sarcevic forced Foderingham into a smart save,

At the beginning of the second half, Jon Obika very nearly gave Swindon a perfect start, but his low strike from distance skimmed past the post.

Obika was involved in the action once again just before the hour, when he wriggled away from the Town defence, but this time shot way over.

Sarcevic denied Williams with a fine tackle inside the box, while the striker later saw an effort well saved by Maxwell from point blank range.

Alexander’s men were being forced to defend for long periods of time, however marshalled by captain Mark Roberts, stood up to the task in front of them.

Dobbie curled just over Foderingham’s goal after Sarcevic played the man on-loan from Crystal Palace in on goal.

Town made their second change of the game with twenty minutes to go when Tyler Forbes replaced Tom Hitchock for his first appearance since making his debut at Yeovil a fortnight ago.

Despite the visitors’ heroic defending, Swindon took the lead three minutes from time when a corner from the right was glanced in by substitute Gladwin.

Dobbie went close in the dying moments when his free kick curled past the post, but it wasn’t to be for Alexander’s men in Wiltshire.

Advertisement block