Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Loan watch: Davies' Shrimps net late leveller at Stevenage

30 November 2014

Seven loan stars were in action on Saturday

Scott Davies helped his Morecambe side to a 1-1 draw away at Stevenage on Saturday afternoon.

Other than the goal he conceded, the keeper, who recently extended his loan stay at the club, was rarely troubled in the Sky Bet League Two encounter.

Stevenage went in front just after the hour, with Simon Walton slotting a 62nd minute penalty past Davies after David McAllister was fouled in the penalty box.

Morecambe snatched an 85th minute equaliser at Broadhall Way, with Padraig Amond glancing the ball beyond Chris Day from a corner, which kept the Shrimps in 11th position.

Elsewhere in the fourth-tier, Matty Blair came on as a 64th minute substitute for Cambridge United as they defeated AFC Wimbledon 2-1 at Kingsmeadow.

Matthew Tubbs opened the scoring for Wimbledon in the first minute, as he rounded U's keeper Chris Dunn to tap home.

Kwesi Appiah levelled for Cambridge 11 minutes later with a superb effort which curled beyond Wombles keeper James Shea.

Liam Hughes then wrapped up the win for the visitors after 58 minutes with a well-taken finish.

Blair was introduced in the final stage of the game, as he replaced Sullay Kaikai, with Richard Money's side holding on to gain all three points to move them up to tenth.

Meanwhile, Stewart Murdoch was forced off after half an hour as his Northampton Town side succumbed to a 2-0 defeat away at Southend United.

The midfielder has impressed whilst with the Cobblers, but was forced off at Roots Hall and replaced by Chris Hackett.

On the pitch, Northampton keeper Jordan Archer was dismissed for bringing down Barry Corr in the area, with Corr subsequently firing home the resulting penalty after 69 minutes.

David Worrall then made the game safe for the Essex outfit, as he connected with a cross to drill the ball into the back of the net with ten minutes remaining. Northampton remain in 15th place.

In the Vanarama Conference Premier, Matty Hughes' Chester side were on the wrong end of a five-goal thriller away at Nuneaton Town, eventually losing 3-2, a result which saw them drop to 16th.

James Armson netted Town's first after 20 minutes, which was swiftly followed up by Lee Fowler's free-kick after three minutes later to double the home side’s advantage.

Chester then staged a fight back following their first-half collapse, and Craig Hobson headed in for the away side.

Marcel Barrington scored Town’s third after 79 minutes, before Chester found a second through Hobson on 88 minutes following some good work from Hughes.

Liam Hogan played the full 90 minutes as his Macclesfield Town side slipped to a 3-1 defeat away at league-leaders Barnet.

Hogan has become a permanent fixture in the Macclesfield side since his loan from Fleetwood, and the Silkmen took a 41st minute lead courtesy of Adriano Moke's long range effort.

Second half goals from Andy Yiadom, John Akinde and Curtis Weston won the game for the Bees however, as they continued their good start to the season.

Defender Tom Davies also suffered defeat as his Alfreton Town side lost 2-0 at FC Halifax, which saw them slip to second bottom.

Louis Maynard’s header just past the hour mark gave the home side the lead, before Jamie Jackson added a second on 82 minutes to ensure a win at The Shay.

And finally, Jamie Allen helped AFC Fylde through to the first round proper of the FA Trophy, following a 3-2 win over Hendesford Town.

Danny Lloyd opened the scoring for the Coasters after powering a header into the corner on 11 minutes, but they wer pegged back after half an hour when Danny Glover netted a free-kick.

Richie Allen scored a second for Fylde from the penalty spot after 50 minutes, before Lloyd added Fylde's third goal, bundling the ball home.

Glover then netted a 75th minute spot kick for Hendesford, however Fylde hung on to claim the win.

Advertisement block