Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Loan watch: Davies keeps first clean sheet for the Shrimps

16 November 2014

A host of Town stars were in action this weekend

Scott Davies kept a clean-sheet as Morecambe ended a three-game losing run with a 1-0 win over Bury at the Globe Arena on Saturday.

Goalkeeper Davies, who re-joined his former club last month, recorded his first shut-out for the Shrimps.

A 70th minute winner from Kevin Ellison won it for Jim Bentley’s side against a stubborn Bury.

The prolific forward netted the winner from close range to hand Morecambe their first win since October, and moved them up to eighth in League Two.

Elsewhere in the fourth tier, Stewart Murdoch's Northampton Town side slumped to a 2-1 defeat Cambridge United on Friday evening.

Murdoch completed his third game in a row for the Cobblers, who are in 17th position in the table.

Ivan Toney gave Northampton the lead at the Abbey Stadium, heading Chris Wilder’s side in front after 50 minutes.

However, their lead would not last long, with the U’s equalising immediately through Adam Cunnington's header.

Ryan Bird then won the game for the home side, connecting with Kwesi Appiah's cross to fire home and earn all three points for Richard Money's men.

In the Vanarama Conference, Matty Hughes was absent in Chester's narrow 1-0 home win over Gateshead on Saturday.

Hughes was serving his suspension for his sending off in a recent fixture.

On the pitch, John Rooney notched a 68th minute winner, a result which lifted them up to 14th in the table.

The 22-year-old recently extended his loan spell at the Deva Stadium, having penned a loan deal back in October.

Meanwhile, Tom Davies featured for Alfreton Town as they succumbed to a narrow 3-2 defeat at home to Dover Athletic.

Defender Davies featured for the full 90 minutes, with the youngster becoming a regular fixture in the Alfreton back four.

Town took the lead in the 40th minute, with Tom Shaw scoring direct from a corner before Nicky Deverdics levelled for Dover after 53 minutes.

He added a second with 65 minutes on the clock with an effort from 30-yards out, and Stefan Payne scored a third with a quarter of an hour to go. 

Shaw added his second of the game for the hosts in second-half stoppage time, but Davies’ side were unable to find a leveller.

Liam Hogan was also in action on Saturday as he made his second appearance for Macclesfield Town in a 0-0 draw away at Welling United.

Hogan completed the full 90 minutes for the Silkmen, as the Cheshire outfit remain in the final play-off place.

And finally, Jamie Allen played 85 minutes as AFC Fylde earned a 1-1 draw away at North Ferriby United on Saturday.

Allen, who has impressed since signing a loan deal for Town's near neighbours, saw his side take the lead eight minutes into the second half.

Liam Tomsett tapped in from close range to give the Coasters the lead, before Fylde were pegged back through Nathan Jarman, who glanced in a free header to earn a point.

Advertisement block