Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Loan watch: Blair makes Cambridge debut at Accrington

23 November 2014

Six of Town's loanees featured this weekend

Matty Blair made his Cambridge United debut at Accrington Stanley on Saturday afternoon, but the U’s fell to a narrow defeat at the Store First Stadium.

Blair signed a deal with Richard Money’s side until the 31st December after appearing only a handful of times for the Cod Army this season.

Piero Mingoia scored twice for Stanley as they moved up the table, and despite Michael Nelson pulling a goal back late on, United left empty handed.

Elsewhere in League Two, Stewart Murdoch once again played the full 90 minutes as Northampton Town beat Stevenage at Sixfields.

The midfielder, who has become a pivotal player in Chris Wilder's side since his loan move from Fleetwood, put in an impressive performance, as a solitary goal from Marc Richards won the game.

Murdoch was involved in the build-up play to the goal, with the Cod Army loanee linking up well with Chris Hackett to set up Richards, who netted from close range in the 20th minute.

Richards’ goal was enough to win it against Graham Westley's side, and ended the Cobblers’ rung of four games without victory.

Goalkeeper Scott Davies endured defeat as his Morecambe side succumbed to a 3-0 loss defeat away at Portsmouth.

Davies, whose current loan deal at the Shrimps expires soon, couldn't prevent goals from Craig Westcarr and a brace from Jed Wallace which lifted Pompey up to 10th.

Westcarr opened the scoring at Fratton Park in the 11th minute after capitalizing on a defensive mix-up to coolly fire home

Wallace then doubled the lead for the south coast side, powering a header beyond the dive of Davies and into the top corner, before completing the rout two minutes from time.

The defeat leaves Jim Bentley's side sitting in 11th place, four points adrift of the play-off positions.

In the Vanarama Conference, Matty Hughes was the hero of the hour as he rescued a point for Chester in their 2-2 draw with Bristol Rovers at the Deva Stadium.

Hughes, who has recently returned from suspension, helped City overturn a two-goal deficit and earn a draw.

Nathan Blissett put Rovers ahead in the 51st minute after slotting home a cross, before the Gas doubled their advantage through Tom Parkes seven minutes later.

However, Rhys Oates pulled a goal back for Chester the hosts were level two minutes later when Hughes glanced a header beyond Steve Mildenhall.

Liam Hogan and Tom Davies came up against one and other as Hogan's Macclesfield Town side recorded a 2-0 win against Davies' Alfreton at the Moss Rose.

Scott Barrow put the Silkmen a goal to the good with a neat finish after 15 minutes, before Waide Fairhurst wrapped up the three points as he bundled home from close range.

The win for Macclesfield leaves Hogan's side firmly in the play-off places, while Alfreton remain confined to the relegation zone and five points off safety.

Finally, Jamie Allen did not feature in AFC Fylde's 0-0 draw at home against Stockport County in the Vanarama Conference North.

Following the point, the Coasters remain fourth in the table.

Advertisement block