Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Wycombe Wanderers

11 February 2014

Wycombe 1-1 Fleetwood Town

Jon Parkin’s fourth goal since the turn of the year rescued a point for Fleetwood Town at Adams Park this evening.

The result means that Town stay in sixth place, only two points behind Oxford United in third, as they welcome Northampton Town to Highbury on Saturday.

Stuart Lewis’ fine effort on the stroke of half time put the Chairboys ahead, but Parkin equalized in the 76th minute as he rifled home from close range.

The most notable change for Fleetwood tonight was that of goalkeeper Chris Maxwell, who made his debut for the club at the expense of the ever present Scott Davies.

Antoni Sarcevic, a starter for the cup game at home to the Spireites seven days ago, also lost his place in the starting eleven to Alex Marrow, while on-loan Sunderland striker Mikael Mandron was given the nod up front with David Ball out injured.

A boost for Alexander & co, however, was that of the return of Jamille Matt, who made the substitutes bench after a lengthy spell on the sidelines. 

The Cod Army travelled to Buckinghamshire on the back of a couple of defeats in all competitions, having lost to York City a fortnight ago, before a Johnstone’s Paint Trophy 1st leg setback against Chesterfield last Tuesday night.

Wycombe’s Max Kretzschmar tested Chris Maxwell out in the opening few minutes, but the 23 year-old shot stopper stood up well to the challenge and made a confident stop.

Town soon got in on the act, and had their first chance courtesy of Mikael Mandron. Charlie Taylor sent an inviting cross into the path of Mandron, but he headed wide.

The visitors continued to grow in confidence, and the in-form Jon Parkin was the next to be presented with an early opportunity, but he blasted over from the right hand side.

Much of the game was being played in the midfield, with Steven Schumacher and Stewart Murdoch imposing themselves well, as chances were few and far between.

With three minutes to go before the interval, Alex Marrow, on-loan from Blackburn Rovers, lost his man down the right wing and weaved into the box, only to see his strike saved by Michael Ingram.

However, it wasn’t to be the last action of the first half, as the home side got their noses in front right on the stroke of half time though skipper Stewart Lewis.

Jon Parkin could only half-clear a Chairboys free kick, and the ball fell to Lewis on the edge of the box, who thundered an effort beyond Maxwell.

The debutant was called into action immediately at the start of the second half, as he expertly tipped Max Kretzschmar drive over the bar.

The introduction of substitute Gareth Evans seemed to boost the Cod Army, and the winger soon got involved when he sent an effort over Michael Ingram’s goal. 

On the hour mark, the Chairboys’ Stuart Lewis looked to add to his earlier goal, but sent a rasping thirty yarder wide.

Welshman Maxwell was proving to be a force for Town between the sticks, as he again denied Kretzschmar when played through on goal by Matt Bloomfield.

Having been under pressure for periods of the second half, Graham Alexander made a double substitution on 70 minutes as Antoni Sarcevic and Jamille Matt entered the fray. 

Matt made an immediate impression with his physical prowess, and combined with Jon Parkin to pull Town level.

The former Preston North End man managed to turn away from the home defence and rifle the ball into the back of the net to earn his side a point.

Advertisement block