Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FA Youth Cup Report: Sunderland 4-0 Fleetwood Town

17 December 2014

Black Cats too strong for the Cod Army

Fleetwood Town bowed out of the FA Youth Cup at the third round stage after a 4-0 defeat away at Premier League side Sunderland on Tuesday evening.

Goals in the first half from Daniel Wright and Andrew Nelson were followed by a second half own goal from Joe Gregory, and a Jordan Blinco effort late on.

Craig Madden went with a front two of Jonny Conway and Louis Myers for the clash, with Gregory coming into the starting line-up for the young Cod Army.

Sunderland started brightly and had the first real opening of the tie, however Michael Muscat valiantly blocked Andrew Nelson’s effort after six minutes.

Liam Bleeker was on hand to keep Fleetwood level early on, as he smothered the ball from Daniel Wright after the forward has raced through clear on goal.

In reply, Conor Smith’s whipped free kick was held well by home keeper James Talbot.

The Black Cats took the lead after 19 minutes courtesy of Daniel Wright’s improvised finish, as he lobbed the advancing Bleeker.

Fleetwood were two behind six minutes later when Nelson collected a pass from Wright, before drilling the ball into the far corner.

Despite trailing by a two goal deficit, Town looked to find a way back into the game, however they were thwarted in their efforts.

Sunderland looked to add a third before the interval, with the impressive Wright going close once again.

After the break, Madden’s men started well but were still unable to find a route to goal, with both Conway and Myers frustrated.

On the hour mark, Bleeker denied Blinco with his legs, while Dylan McEvoy saw his rasping effort go just past the keeper’s far post.

Town were being reduced to half-chances as the game progressed, with Liam Wood’s shot cleared, and in an attempt to get back into the tie, Madden replaced Myers with Mamadou Djabi.

For the home side, Rees Greenwood shot wide from just inside the area after cutting in from the right

With 15 minutes to go, Wright played a neat one-two before being denied well by Bleeker, who saved at his near post.

Bleeker was forced into action once again three minutes later; making smart saves from Ethan Robson, before denying  Blinco’s tame effort.

However, Sunderland would not be denied a third goal, and Gregory unfortunately put past his own keeper with nine minutes to go. 

The Black Cats would wrap up proceedings by adding a fourth almost immediately after, as Blinco received a pass, before taking a touch and smashing the ball beyond Bleeker.

Advertisement block