Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wycombe match preview

21 April 2014

Fleetwood 1-0 Wycombe

Josh Morris hit another match-winning goal to give ten-man Fleetwood Town victory over Wycombe Wanderers on Easter Monday.

The Cod Army had midfielder Alan Goodall sent off in the first half at Highbury Stadium for a stamp, and Gareth Ainsworth’s relegation-threatened Chairboys went looking to capitalise.

However Morris, who scored the winner in Fleetwood’s 2-1 victory at Cheltenham Town on Good Friday, grabbed the game’s only goal after the break by rifling low into the far corner from long range.

The result keeps Graham Alexander’s side in the hunt for automatic promotion from League Two, despite other results going against them on the day.

Alexander named the same team which beat Cheltenham at the Abbey Business Stadium three days earlier.

And looking to follow-up on their victory in Gloucestershire, the Cod Army started brightly.

Iain Hume’s ferocious strike was saved by Wycombe goalkeeper Matt Ingham after six minutes, following David Ball’s knockdown.

Ball then jinked past Wanderers left-back Sam Wood and along the byline, but fired straight into the side netting.

Fleetwood’s positive start was disrupted, however, when Goodall was sent off after 13 minutes for an appeared stamp.
Although Town continued to attack despite their numerical disadvantage, with Matty Blair blasting just past the top-left corner from long range after running through the centre.

It remained goalless at half-time, but the Cod Army continued to search for the breakthrough following the interval.

Ball fired into Ingham’s hands at the near post after being spotted by Morris.

Conor McLaughlin then picked out Blair on the left with an intelligent pass, but after a heavy first touch, the midfielder’s attempted poke under the goalkeeper was well blocked.

Fleetwood got their goal in the 59th minute, though, when Morris burst through the centre of the field and hit a powerful low strike into the bottom-right corner – past Ingham’s reach.

Antoni Sarcevic looked to add a second after twisting and turning on the right side of box, before being denied low by Ingham at the near post.

At the other end, Town goalkeeper Chris Maxwell had to remain sharp to dive and save substitute Junior Morias’ curling effort from the edge of the box with 20 minutes left.

Morias also blasted past the right post in a late moment of danger from the Chairboys, and Maxwell had to get down low to deny Dan Rowe, but Fleetwood held on to stay in the hunt for a top-three spot.

Advertisement block