Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Hogan insists on good results

7 October 2013

Fleetwood Town defender Liam Hogan was pleased following his side’s victory over Bristol Rovers. 

Hogan, who made his first full start since August, insists that Fleetwood must keep up their good form in order to succeed this season. 

“It’s a wonderful feeling playing the 90 minutes but it’s also important too. We’re all a team at the end of the day, so it doesn’t matter if you’re on the bench or in the stands but I have that extra good feeling when I’m out there playing. It’s a good result and looking at other results in the league, it looks like it’s been a good day for us. It’s important we keep picking up these points. I want to keep playing for the team but I know we have a big squad full of quality.”

The Cod Army’s defence were under scrutiny at stages throughout the game but Town were able to withstand the pressure. Whilst the defence remained resilient, the attack did their business with two goals from Jamille Matt and a neat volley from Jon Parkin. 

“We work as a team, which means we work together in defence and in attack. It’s a shame that we were not able to keep a clean sheet but we know we’ve got goals in the side. I’m pleased for Jamma (Matt) he works hard and pleased for Parky (Parkin) who has come on at the end and scored the goal for us.”

Matt gave Town the lead but Bristol Rovers were level two minutes later much to the annoyance of Hogan. 

“We finally got our reward with a goal but as the old saying goes ‘you’re at your most vulnerable just after you have scored’ because they obviously equalised. We let our guard down and that’s not like us. We just want to stay on our toes and keep concentrated, then the attacking players can go and do their stuff.”

Matt then put Town in the lead for the second time in the game before Parkin sealed the victory for Town. 

“It was a relief when Parkin scored the third because it gave us that cushion to fall back on. They were pushing for another equaliser but thankfully that never came. They got their crowd up for it, with ten to fifteen minutes remaining but we had to make sure we were at our best to stop their attacking threat.”

Advertisement block