Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FA Youth Cup tonight away

4 November 2013

The Cod Army youngsters failed to find the elusive equaliser which they fully deserved on Saturday, but will now turn their attentions to the FA Youth Cup when they travel to Rotherham on Monday night. Full Twitter coverage and match report with kick-off at 7pm kick off. Admission £4 adults and £2 concessions.

Wigan Athletic Youth 1-0 Fleetwood Town Youth
Robin Park Arena – 02/11/13

Joey Johnson’s second half volley inflicted a second consecutive league defeat on Craig Madden’s men away at Wigan Athletic on Saturday morning.

Johnson’s strike on the hour mark sealed all three points for the Latics at what was a wind swept Robin Park Arena.

Young goalkeeper Elliot Wynne replaced Liam Bleeker from the team that lost at home to Bury the previous weekend, while Keano Deacon earned a start ahead of Shane Glean.

The Cod Army were looking for revenge having lost to Wigan in the cup on penalties a few weeks prior to Saturday’s game.

Madden’s men were first to everything in the first half and dominated play, with Jordan Lazenbury seeing his long range strike whistle wide, before Kurt Willoughby curled his effort  agonizingly over.

Despite the visitors enjoying most of the possession, they were restricted to long range efforts by a stubborn Wigan defence.

Former Manchester United youth player Robbie Bromley brought a fine save out of Wigan keeper Yusuf Nersin after sixteen minutes, while Willoughby wasted a great chance for his side soon after as Matty Williams’ inch perfect cross was headed into the ground and over by the striker.

Bromley sent an inviting free kick inches wide of Nesin’s goal, before centre back Dominic Barrett rose highest in the box to meet Jordan Lazenbury’s corner, but headed over.

Wigan’s Lloyd Bannister beat Danny Vile on the right and broke into the Town box, before being intercepted by Barrett.

Midfielder Jordan Flores then registered the Latics’ first attempt on goal, but he shot wide of Elliott Wynne’s goal on the half volley.

With three minutes to go before the break, Jonny Conway burst down the right hand side for Fleetwood before delicately cutting back to Connor Smith who blazed over from close range.

With the wind at their backs for the second half, Wigan improved and imposed more of a threat on the Town backline.

Jordan Flores’ dangerous looking corner was met by Nayana Balogan, but he nodded wide.

However, with an hour on the clock, Wigan went ahead courtesy of Joey Johnson. Johnson’s initial free kick was saved by Wynne in the Fleetwood goal, but his quick throw fell straight back to the feet of Johnson who volleyed superbly into the far corner.

Craig Madden then introduced his three substitutes with Shane Glean, Mamadou Djabi and Wes Newton all coming on in place of Jonny Conway, Jordan Lazenbury and Keano Deacon.

Nayana Balogan wasted a chance to double the advantage for his side as he scooped over from close range, while Matt Hamilton saw his free kick go wide.

Fleetwood continued to force the initiative and looked for a way back into the contest. Kurt Willoughby raced onto a long ball and found himself one on one with the keeper who came out on top.

Wigan Athletic Youth: Narsin, Burke, McNally, Poole, Anson, Harrison, Bannister, Flores, Hamilton, Johnson, Balogan
Wigan Athletic Youth Subs: Lingano, Gibbons, Carey, Baxendale

Fleetwood Town Youth: Wynne, Williams, Vile, Bromley, Muscat, Barrett, Deacon, Lazenbury, Smith, Willoughby, Conway
Fleetwood Town Youth Subs: Glean, Bleeker, Nelson, Djabi

Advertisement block