Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth away win

11 December 2012

Town victory at Morecambe

By Sam Gilliland

Morecambe 1-2 Fleetwood Town

Football League Youth Alliance Saturday 8th December 2012 Aden Wainwright (pic) scored a stoppage-time winner for Fleetwood Youths in their 2-1 win away at Morecambe. The striker came on as second-half substitute for our first goal scorer Tom Peterson, and headed home from a cross by Jamie Allen in added time. Morecambe had defender Matthew Knipe sent off with five minutes to go, for a last man foul on Town’s Jake Parker, after the young Cod Army had dominated the second half. Though the visitors made a slow start to the match this week, and fell behind in the 7th minute, when the Shrimps Chris Suthers fired a right-foot shot past trialist keeper Sam Jenson. It should have been Morecambe’s second of the morning, after Daniel Dunleavey had already headed against the crossbar just three minutes before. Fleetwood were able to respond with their first real chance on 17 minutes, as Danny Wuni pulled one back for Nathan Parrish on the left, who picked out Peterson in an onside position for a six yard tap in. Peterson then spurned the chance to put Town ahead straight from the restart, after he robbed Knipe of the ball in his own half, but smashed a one-on-one wide of the right post. Morecambe could have retaken the lead in the 24th minute, when a cross from Kieran Britton on the left found its way to Simon Wearing, but the winger’s header came back off the crossbar. And Dunleavy also forced 15-year-old Jenson into a smart save at his near post, after the Shrimps striker fired a left foot effort towards the far corner, in an end to end first half. Fleetwood took control of the game in the second, but struggled to find a way through the Morecambe defence. Michael Smith had a chance to find the winner with 15 minutes to go, but the England Schoolboys midfielder volleyed over from Parker’s on the right. Parker was then brought down by Knipe in the 83rd minute when he went through on goal, which left the referee with no choice but to send the defender off. The resulting free kick forced a diving save from Morecambe keeper Luke Pybis following Parker’s effort, before the visitors found a late winner. Jamie Allen whipped in a deep cross from the right, which was met by the head of Wainwright, who made no mistake in front of goal to give Fleetwood all three points. The young Cod Army will take on Burnley at home next in the Football League North West Youth Alliance, at 11am in their final fixture of 2012.

Advertisement block