Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
11 October 2022 Venue Unavailable Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Fleetwood Town Reserves
1 - 2
Blackpool Reserves
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Development Squad Report: Town narrowly lose out to Blackpool in Central League cup

11 October 2022

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town's Development Squad lost 2-1 to local rivals Blackpool in the Central League Cup at Poolfoot Farm on Tuesday afternoon.

In what was an even first half, it took a wonder strike from Blackpool midfielder Sonny Carey to open the deadlock at Fleetwood's training complex. Carey scored his and the Seasiders' second goal moments later, with Chris Conn-Clarke scoring with 30 minutes remaining to make it an entertainment end to the game.

Not much happened in the opening exchanges, but it was Conn-Clarke who had the first opportunity of the game, but his effort was well saved by Stuart Moore between the Blackpool sticks.

Owen Moffat was lively for the visitors in the first half, and when he struck his effort from the edge of the box, it looked destined for the net but Harrison Holgate did well to get a block on his shot. 

Five minutes before the interval, Carl Johnston played a lovely ball over the Blackpool back line for Cian Hayes to run onto. The young forward did well to get in front of the defender, but Hayes failed to hit the target from inside the penalty box.

Blackpool forward Poveda nearly gave Blackpool the lead just before the break, but his effort went narrowly wide of Tom Donaghy's left hand post.

As we entered the second half, it only took Stephen Dobbie's side five minutes to opening the scoring. Carey. found himself with enough room from range to pull the trigger and watched his shot fly into the bottom corner to make it 1-0 to the Seasiders.

He doubled his tally four minutes later after breaking through the lines, finding his teammate before receiving the ball back to slot it past Donaghy in the Fleetwood net. 

Just before Fleetwood pulled one back, Mowffat rattled the crossbar from distance - if that went in you might have thought the tie was over but Conn-Clarke scored two minutes later to make it a nervy last thirty minutes for Blackpool.

Town did have chances to get back level. Hayes took the ball of Grant Ward midway inside the opponents half but failed to hit the target, and then Conn-Clarke saw his wild effort sail over the crossbar - a glorious opportunity to make it 2-2 with less than 15 minutes on the clock.

Brendan Wiredu was the latest Fleetwood Town player to nearly find the back of the net after Johnston's free-kick from 35-yards out. The former Colchester man found himself unmarked inside the penalty area, but couldn't direct his header on goal.

Blackpool saw out the victory at Poolfoot Farm. Donaghy denied the visitors late on with two excellent saves but it wasn't enough to earn the Cod Army a point in the Lancashire Derby. 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account