Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:30 (UK)

30 July 2019 Venue Hurst Cross Attendance

Kick off 19:30 (UK)

Ashton United
0 - 0
Fleetwood Town
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Town's Development Squad end pre-season with win at Ashton

30 July 2019

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town’s Development Squad end pre-season with a 1-0 victory over Ashton United on a wet Tuesday night in Greater Manchester.

With Fleetwood dominating the match from start to finish, it was the one goal that separated the two sides at Hurst Cross with Dan Mooney scoring from close range after going round the keeper in the second half.

Stephen Crainey’s side started off the match in control of the ball and possession, and the first shot of the game went to the away side. Laurence Smith picked up the ball 30-yards from goal, and struck it well on his left foot, making the goalkeeper Worsnop tip it over the bar.

Town had the next opportunity at goal after great build up play in Ashton’s third. The ball was whipped into the box only for Jonathan Hunt to misplace his clearance, making the keeper pull off another fantastic save at close range.

The hosts did created their own chances midway through the half, and with John Pritchard lurking inside Town’s 18-yard box, his header on goal was headed off the line by Nathan Sheron.

Mooney was one of Fleetwood’s stand out players and when he picked up the ball on the right side, there was only one thing in the attackers mind. With a thunderous strike from long distance, he rattled the crossbar. Another great chance for the visitors to take the lead.

As the second 45 minutes began, it was once again Town in control of the match and four minutes after the restart, the Cod Army took the lead through dangerman Mooney. The attacker latched onto the through ball from Ged Garner and went round to keeper to give himself an easy tap in.

There were appeals for a penalty after Harvey Saunders broke the offside trap. Worsnop came rushing out and looked to get a touch on the ball before he got a touch on the striker. However the referee waved away the penalty shouts from the Town players.

Liam Tomsett – a former youth player at local club Blackpool was the man to watch for the Robins and when he got in front of goal, he chose to shoot and make James Cottam pull off a smart save to keep the score line at 1-0.

Town should have doubled their lead with ten minutes left on the clock. Substitute Michael Fowler was free at the far post and after striking one goal wards, it was the Ashton keeper this time to pull off a smart save down at his feet. He had to react as Sam O'Halleron was ready to pounce on the rebound, denying the young forward from making it 2-0 to the Cod Army.

It was a performance Crainey and his coaching staff will be pleased with ahead of their season in the Central League, and it will be back to Poolfoot to prepare for their opening game.

Ashton XI: Worsnop (GK), Harrison (Robson 67’), Pritchard, Hunt ©, Havern, Trialist, Rowney, Wilson, Tomsett, Trialist (Anghel 62’), Hughes (Wright 86’).

Subs not used: Woodford

Fleetwood XI: Cottom (GK), Jones, Sheron, Hill (Matete 46’), Rydel, Smith, Trialist (Fowler 68’), Baggley, Mooney (O’Halleron 68’), Garner, Saunders (Takpe 80’).

Subs not used: Trialist (GK).

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account